Poverty and the Feast

I saw people standing in front of a table that was full of delicious foods.  I knew this was the banqueting table of God, you know, the one He calls us to under the banner of His love?  I saw this feast was made up of tender lamb, breads, oil, fruits, honey, and wine.  The sight of it made my mouth water!  What a yummy meal!  But there was something wrong with the picture: instead of gleefully partaking of the feast, the people just stood there, looking ragged, hungry, poor.  They didn't even lift their eyes to look at the food; focusing instead on a stale crust of bread in their hands which they nibbled on joylessly every once in a while.  I was shocked.  I wanted to shout to them, "Look up!  There is abundance laid out for you!  It's RIGHT THERE!  Toss out that old crumb and dig into the fresh juicy lamb!  Or the honey, it's so sweet!  At least drink some wine and be refreshed!"

I realized that this is the sad reality of many a Christian's life, often of my own.  I pout and wimper over the circumstances of my life, nibbling occasionally on some long-ago God-moment, and feel powerless and hopeless.  I forget that He has made available to me all the riches of His glory through Christ Jesus!  I forget that He has given me everything I need for life and godliness!  I forget that He is a Good God, that He is in a Good mood, and that He is not a God of measure but of fullness!  There is so much that He has for me!  His abundance makes my need (whatever it may be) look inconsequential.  Like taking a cup to the ocean and begging to fill it up, worrying that I can drain the ocean or that it will begrudge my taking.  My cup doesn't deplete the ocean one iota!  Say your need is bigger than a cup, like a barrel or a tank...the principle is the same.  And it is the same with God's abundance, even more so.  What need do you have that God can't possibly meet?  None.  There exists no need on this planet that God cannot meet...and then some.   Even if my physical circumstances don't change, He has given His Holy Spirit within me to resource my spirit from the Kingdom of Heaven!  Negativity, despair, and hopelessness have no place in me, I am a citizen of an ever-abundant Kingdom, made a co-heir with the King Himself!

So, the question is, What are you hungry for?  I guarantee the supply to satisfy that hunger can be found at God's table!  Forgiveness?  Take a bite of the Lamb, whose blood washed away your sin.  Joy?  Revel in sweet refreshing pleasure of His presence.  Love?  Drink deep of His love that intoxicates like wine!  Wisdom?  His Word is sweet as honey, marinating the mind with His thoughts.   Healing?  The bread of His body was broken to make you whole.  Intimacy?  Let Holy Spirit cover you like a costly anointing oil, soaking into every fiber of your being.

As for me, I am resolved to oppose the spirit of poverty by partaking by faith all that Christ died to give me, so that I can show His goodness to a starving world!  I cannot give away what I do not have...so may the Kingdom of Heaven abide in my heart, that I may sow seeds of the King's goodness for His glory everywhere I go!

Taste and see that God is GOOD!
Bliss to you!
Sarah



4 comments:

Sam Kurien said...

Love this post!! Good work Honey!

Sam

Unknown said...

I stumbled across your blog today. I must say it gave me alot to think about. I loved this and I will probably read every post today. Thank you for your art it is beautiful. You definitely have a new follower! Be blessed as you continue to bless others.

Unknown said...

I stumbled across your blog today. I must say this gave me alot to think about. Thank you for posting and your artwork is beautiful. Please continue to bless others with your gifts!

Sarah said...

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. Funny thing is I really needed the word in this post today...your comment brought it back to my attention. 😊 Thanks and be blessed! - Sarah