The Birth of Compassion

This morning I experienced an unforgettably beautiful and tender moment with my 3(almost 4) year old son.  I've been reading "Another Man's War" by Sam Childers, about his life and work with orphans in Sudan.  On the back cover there is a heart-wrenching picture of a small child grieving with some unknown, probably unthinkable pain.  The child's eyes seem to lock with yours, tears streaming down dusty cheeks, mouth opened in a silent wail of the soul.  I was reading this book when Isaac came up to ask me something about his legos.  That's when he first caught a glimpse of this crying child's picture.  He stared at it for a few seconds.  Then his face crumpled, his eyes welled up with tears, and he crawled up into a corner of the couch, face buried in his hands.  I immediately set the book aside and went to him.  I asked him what he was feeling; he replied that he was sad for the child.  With my own eyes brimming with tears and voice choked with emotion, I took the next several minutes to hold him close and whisper with him about that feeling: compassion, to see someone else's pain and hurt for them, and to want to make it better for them.  I explained that, though painful, it is actually a good thing; compassion is the heart of Jesus inside of us, moving us to love others as ourselves.  Then we prayed softly together for God to be with that child, wherever they were and whatever they were hurting from.  Stroking his thick hair and soft cheek, I marveled at my son, eyes so full of pain and love for a child he's never met.  Here sits a happy, healthy boy living in a free country, safe and with every physical and emotional need met...and his heart is breaking for the child who has none of that.  I long for my children to live compassionate lives, but that is something I cannot give to them.  It must grow within them from the Spirit of God inside.
What blows me away is that a year ago God gave me a picture for Isaac: an arrow.  At first I argued with God that it didn't fit him, because he is a tender, content boy whose name means "laughter".  An arrow felt too hard and cold.  Then God showed me the elements of the arrow:  the tip is Love, the shaft is Faith, and the fletchings (feathers) are all the Fruits of the Spirit.  God revealed that Isaac will be a weapon against the kingdom of darkness by living in Love and Faith and Joy and Gentleness!  This morning I witnessed him take a first step towards his destiny: the birth of compassion in his heart.  As I watched him encounter this strong emotion for the first time, I imagined what exploits he will undertake in his life, compelled by the love of Christ to protect the innocent and provide for the poor.  I snatched that priceless moment to speak those seeds over him (You are a strong and brave boy with a great heart of love, God will use you to help and protect children like that who have no one to fight for them), and watched them fall into the soft, freshly tilled soil of his young heart.

Holy Spirit, rain upon those seeds of Jesus in my children.  Father, let the light of Your face shine on them.  As they learn to live in love with You, cultivate Your dreams for them in the hidden places, until they grow into mighty oaks of righteousness.  And teach me, also, Lord, to live from that deep, powerful place of compassion.  Move my heart, as Your heart moves, so that I may pray the prayers that You can agree with!  For Your sake, Jesus.  Amen.

Bliss to you!
Sarah



No comments: