Brilliant Thought: Branch or iPod?

I love my iPhone!  I use it daily for music, movies, games, and a myriad of helpful apps.  But there is one annoying thing.  As I use it, the battery drains and then I have to plug it in for a while to recharge.  Once the little icon is all green again, though, I get to unplug and am free to use it however and wherever I need it!  Fabulous technology!


In the past I have had this view of my faith-life.  Like my relationship with God is something like the iPhone dock: when I am drained I plug in, fill up, and then I want to be free to roam around and run off of that buzz for a while.  Problem is, I am always using up and running out of the spiritual strength that I get from God and it can fade pretty fast.  I am now aware that this is a faulty perspective.  God is not my dock!  My relationship with Him does not consist of me plugging in once or twice a week to sync and recharge only to unplug again and go about my business!  It must be more than that!
Jesus Himself holds a DTR conversation with His disciples in John 15:1-11:  
 1 “I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit, He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it so that it may bear more fruit. 3 You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. 5 I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire and they are burned. 7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples. 9 Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love. 10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love. 11 These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full."


Well, if I am a branch then I jolly well can't 'unplug' from the vine, can I?  No, a branch, by definition is connected to the vine.  Otherwise, it is just a stick.  And it is considered dead.  Independence from God renders me useless.  I want to abide in the Vine!  I want to bear fruit for His glory!  So, I must stay connected.  What does the branch do to produce fruit?  Only receive the continual flow of nutritious sap.  Fruit happens!  


Holy Spirit, I reject the thought process that reduces You to a dock.  I accept that I can do nothing by myself.  Abide in me, so that I may abide in You!  I love Your sap!  And I love the fruit of it that shows up in my life!  I am connected...increase the flow!  I want Your joy in me that makes my joy full!  Amen!  


Bliss to you!
Sarah

2 comments:

Sharon Wolstencroft said...

This is brilliant and follows on perfectly from the previous line of thought I love these analogies and thoughts , prayers and reflections and I love you! xox

Sarah said...

Thanks, Sharon! Love you, too!