Occupation: Treasure Hunter!

My husband and I are part of a small group at our church called, Kingdom Come.  We are just normal guys and gals who love Jesus and love partnering with Holy Spirit to spread His love around!  We worship a lot.  We pray a lot.  We laugh even more!  But one of my favorite things to do with the group is something we learned from Bethel Church in Redding, CA, called Treasure Hunts.  We meet together as a group and ask God for "clues" to people He is setting up for a blessing that day!  Individually, we write down names, places, articles of clothing, prayer needs, etc. as they come to us.  We compare notes and gather in teams of 3-4 based on similarities in our lists.  Then we head out, using our "map" to find people who match 1 or more clues (such as a lady wearing a purple shirt who is shopping at Target), or anyone we feel Holy Spirit highlighting to us.  We approach them respectfully and cheerfully, simply asking if they need prayer for anything.  We don't mention a church, we don't ask them for anything, only offering a listening ear and a caring heart to agree with them before the Throne of Heaven for the changes they need to see.  Some turn us away, but most are pleasantly surprised and grateful, if not totally blessed out of their socks, by this simple ministry.  To know that God sees you, knows you, and cares enough to send a stranger to tell you that...that is a powerfully encouraging idea!


The thing is, this is how I want to live my whole life.  I don't want it to be an "outreach".  I want to utilize the courage to step out in love daily, to let myself actually feel something for the hundreds of random people I pass by everyday.  Because God loves each one, they are His Treasure, though most don't know it or don't believe it.   His thoughts towards them are too numerous to count, if I can catch just one of those and communicate it to them...I might never know just how much it means.  So much of this process begins by understanding how much God loves me, then it becomes easier to realize that He loves them that much, too!  From there, all it takes from me is an open and willing heart and a step towards a stranger....He really does the rest!

Over the past week or so, I've been thinking about hunting for the treasure in situations, too.  Thinking about negative situations in a different light, turning them around through a godly attitude and Holy Spirit inspiration.  Let me give you a few examples....

* Start the funeral: my car battery is dead.  I am late and bored by the time the AAA service guy arrives.  Though he greets me politely, I have no idea how his day has gone.  Maybe I will be the only customer he helps today who is cheerful, smiling, and genuinely appreciative.  Maybe not, but I don't want to take that chance.  I don't have use for the negative feelings anyway.  Let the joy flow, it is terrifically contagious!

* I walk into the doctor's office only to be greeted by seven other pairs of eyes in the waiting room.  This is going to take much longer than I thought.  I sit patiently, quietly turning my heart's affection to Jesus...best use of my time!  As I wait, I notice something, or rather, someone.  The receptionist is exceptional:  kind, cheerful, patient, efficient but unhurried in her dealings with people.  Compassion, peace, and joy are practically oozing out of her!  Holy Spirit smiled in my heart.  I knew He was setting her up for a blessing, and He wanted to use me!  As I concluded my business with her, I asked if she was a Christian.  She said yes.  I told her I could tell, because the love of God was all over her!  I asked if I could pray a quick blessing over her, and she was moved to tears.  I left that office an hour later than I had expected, but I was so joyful to have had that time to witness that woman in action and to encourage her in her ministry!

* Stuck at another red light.  Deep breath.  Holy Spirit, give me insight to pray for the people in the cars around me.  Look.  Take what He gives, and pray the promises of God over those people.  It can be childishly simple...Large, shiny, red truck = God, stir up a boldness in them for the blood of Jesus!  Excessive peace signs and "coexist" bumper stickers = God, become real to them as the Truth, the Way, and the Prince of Peace!  Understanding that my prayers give the angels employment can turn a boring commute into a powerful time of intercession for strangers and my city!

* Oops!  I almost took that guy's turn at the 4-way stop.  I stop in time, hold up my hand, and smile in apology, but he honks, yells angrily, and flips me off.  Wow.  He must really be having a bad day to respond so negatively to something so small.  Instead of railing inside against the injustice of that reaction, I begin to pray for him and whatever hurts and difficulties he has to deal with.  I reject any curse he spoke to me and receive God's grace instead, choosing to see him as someone God highlighted to me on purpose because he needs prayer for something.

I have no way of knowing if I made any real difference in any of those situations.  But my attitude change sure made a difference in me!  I find that my joy and peace increases as I focus on sowing love seeds wherever I go and whatever I do!  And just maybe God will use those small attitudes, words, actions, and prayers to touch a heart with His love.  That is the ultimate treasure!  That is what I am hunting for.  At every opportunity!

Bliss to you!
Sarah

P.S. Here are two of my favorite songs, part of the soundtrack of my life you could say!  They capture this idea well.  Enjoy!

No comments: