Me Time

I want to share some thoughts I've been having about "me time".  As the mom of two young and very energetic children and the wife of one very brilliant and ambitious husband...I understand well the need for time alone to reset my sanity gauges!  Sometimes I lock myself in my bedroom with my iPod and noise cancellation headphones, to float away on a sea of my favorite music.  Sometimes I take a hot bath and read a good book (without pictures!).  And even, on occasion, my wonderful husband will approve a day-long outing with a good friend to get manicures, eat a nice lunch, and window shop.  These times are fabulous!  I bet you can relate.

But have you ever noticed how quickly that fabulous "me time" feeling can flee when bombarded again with the very stresses, demands, and noises that caused the need for it in the first place?  I open the bathroom, bedroom, or front door and WHAM!...the kids are screaming, the husband is calling, the phone is ringing, the house is messier, the kids are hungrier, and *Ouch!*...did I just step on a toy car?!  Heave a sigh and wave goodbye to that blissful feeling!

I find that when I make my "me time" only about me, tending only to my superficial needs, then the effect doesn't last long back in real life.  But there is a Way to stay fresh, peaceful, and blissful even in the face of real demands and loud noises.  The secret is to bring Someone along to your me time...turn "me time" into "God time".  Invite Him into that private space and time where you go to refresh.  Because, believe me, He will do a much better job of revitalizing you than you or any manicurist can!  Not only that, but His name is Faithful and True...what He fills you with won't fly out the window when reality tumbles back in!  It's as simple as turning your thoughts and heart towards Him.  Recognize that He is already there and He totally gets where you're coming from and what you need.  Holy Spirit is a great listener.  And the words He whispers back to you will cause your heart to smile with quiet joy long after you return to the daily grind.

This is a very simple thing that has a tremendous result.  And not just for housewives.  I know my husband, a perpetual student, hard worker, and entrepreneur, finds long-lasting strength and inspiration when he brings God into his personal time.  In fact, even our times alone as a couple are better and more enjoyable when we talk about and enjoy God's company together!  Holy Spirit is just one of those people that makes everything brighter!  He can't help it!  You start talking with Him and He will make it well worth your time!

For me, it's all a part of abiding in Jesus.  He is the ultimate Lifegiver, the Living Water.  And if I am supposed to carry streams of that Living Water (like He said in John 7:38), then I need to be receiving from the Source.  Often.  And what better time to do that than when I get a few minutes or hours to myself?!  I stumbled upon another blogger's post about creating "ME time".  I think her advice is applicable to creating "GOD time", too:
1) Start small.  You don't have to make a big deal of it...just start thinking about Jesus while you're getting your nails done or taking your walk.
2) Work it into your routine.  Keep it simple and natural, do what works to connect you to God.
3) Build on it.  As you practice and become addicted to the refreshing nature of His presence, you will better know how to plan and prepare for your God Time!  Do you need music?  A journal?  To be outside?  Make it your own!  He enjoys what you enjoy!

Bliss to you!
Sarah

No comments: